Gift of friendship for Olympic athletes
A patchwork quilt created by women at All Saints will be presented to the Portuguese team
AN Olympic quilt created by nimble fingered needlewomen from All Saints, near Axminster, is being presented to athletes from Portugal.
The 16-strong village quilting team began work on the project in 2010, after reading an appeal for commemorative blankets to give to Olympic competitors from around the globe.
The “gift of quilts” project was seen as a way of presenting visiting athletes with a unique gift of friendship from the people of the United Kingdom.
The All Saints Quilters, under organiser Sandy March, completed their blanket last year and last week seven of them travelled to the Stitch and Craft Show, at Olympia, to see all the entries, before they were allocated to the various teams in a draw.
You may also want to watch:
All Saints Quilters co-ordinator Catherine Hutcheson-France said all 400 quilts on show were “magnificent”.
She said: “It took us quite a few hours to view and take them all in. All Saints quilt was donated to Portugal.”
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 3 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 4 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 5 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 6 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 7 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 8 Council lobbies Government on behalf of young people
- 9 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
- 10 Village youngsters excited by opening of new pump track