Gig clubs from across South West go racing at Lyme
Host club - founded just four years ago - finished in third spot after taking on the region’s best
PILOT gig clubs from across the South West took part in yesterday’s (Sunday) race regatta at Lyme Regis.
Teams from Bridport, Bristol, Clevedon, Ilfracombe, Sidmouth, Swanage, Teignmouth, Torridge and Weymouth competed with the Lyme Regis club, founded in 2007.
Weymouth were overall champions, winning the men’s, ladies’ and mixed races. Teignmouth won the men’s veterans race and Ilfracombe won the ladies’ veterans race.
Lyme Regis’ 32ft gig “Black Ven” came third in the overall points, won by individual boats.
You may also want to watch:
Lyme’s ladies team captain, Diana Dixon, said: “We are extremely pleased to have had another wonderful regatta and send our thanks to all the clubs who made the trip to Lyme Regis. The racing was very exciting in somewhat difficult sea conditions.”
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 3 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 4 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 5 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 6 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 7 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 8 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 9 Sidmouth and Ottery hockey stung by Hornets