Government urges people to stay at home this Easter as lockdown continues

PUBLISHED: 10:24 10 April 2020 | UPDATED: 10:24 10 April 2020

10 Downing Street handout photo of Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab during a media briefing in Downing Street, London, on coronavirus (COVID-19) before Easter. Picture: Pippa Fowles/Crown Copyright/10 Downing Street/PA Wire

10 Downing Street handout photo of Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab during a media briefing in Downing Street, London, on coronavirus (COVID-19) before Easter. Picture: Pippa Fowles/Crown Copyright/10 Downing Street/PA Wire

The Government has urged people to stay home over Easter as police warned they were ready to take action against those who flouted the coronavirus lockdown rules.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said it was still too soon for ministers to begin lifting the strict social distancing rules introduced last month.

Mr Raab - who has been deputising for Boris Johnson - said they could not begin to start looking again at the measures until the end of next week.

Downing Street said the Prime Minister - who had been in intensive care since Monday evening - has been returned to the ward at St Thomas’ Hospital following an improvement in his condition.

Mr Raab’s warning came amid fears that with fine weather forecast for the bank holiday weekend, crowds will again flock to beaches and beauty spots in defiance of the rules.

Earlier Downing Street offered the Government’s ‘full backing’ to police forces seeking to enforce the restrictions over the holiday period.

The warning came as the latest official figures showed the number of hospital patients in the UK who had died after testing positive for Covid-19 had risen to 7,978 as of 5pm on Wednesday - an increase of 881 on the previous day.

At the daily No 10 press conference, Mr Raab acknowledged that it was hard for people hoping to go out and be with their families over Easter, but he urged them to show restraint amid signs the measures were having an impact.

“Unfortunately right now we just can’t do those sorts of things and I am really sorry about that,” he said.

“It’s been almost three weeks and we’re starting to see the impact of the sacrifices we’ve all made.

“But the deaths are still rising and we haven’t yet reached the peak of the virus. So it’s still too early to lift the measures that we put in place.

“We must stick to the plan and we must continue to be guided by the science.”

Mr Raab was speaking after chairing a meeting of the Government’s Cobra civil contingencies committee to consider how it would proceed with the three-week review, due next week, of the lockdown rules.

He said the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) would be looking at the evidence but it would not be possible to say any more until the end of next week.

Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government’s chief scientific adviser, said measures were “breaking transmission” of the disease with signs of a “flattening off” in the numbers of new cases and hospital admissions.

However he warned the numbers of deaths would continue to rise for a “few weeks” and that it was too soon to relax social-distancing.

“It is incredibly important that we continue to do what we are doing,” he said.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald