Baroque spectacular coming to Axminster
- Credit: Archant
Special production will celebrate the South Wessex Organ Society’s first anniversary
The South Wessex Organ Society is celebrating its first anniversary with a very special event at The Minster in Axminster this Friday (October 26).
The Baroque Spectacular will bring together some superb instrumentalists and singers to perform a selection of music from the period, under the baton of Judy Martin, founder and former musical director of Axminster Chamber Choir.
The programme includes two works by JS Bach – Cantata No. 80 ‘Ein Feste Burg ist unser Gott’ and the Orchestral Suite No. 1 in C major (BWV 1066) – plus Handel’s Chandos Anthem ‘I will magnify thee’ and Albinoni’s gorgeous Oboe Concerto in D minor.
The vocal soloists are Harriet Mountford (soprano), Gillian Humphreys and John Mountford (alto), Les Baker (tenor), and Chris Brewer and Christopher Walledge (bass).
You may also want to watch:
In the alto and bass arias of the Bach cantata, the soloists will share their parts, bringing a pleasing variety in mood and tone. Oboeist Nicki Woods will play the solo in the Albinoni concerto.
The concert marks a year of fabulous music events, including the first SWOS Festival in May, the president’s reception and a number of recitals by established and up-and-coming organists alike.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 The US Open: part two
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
The society has lots planned for 2019, too, with the winter course - formerly the Lyme Regis Organ School - in February and a series of services based around Bach cantatas.
The Baroque Spectacular is on Friday October 26 at 7.45pm in St Mary’s, Axminster. Tickets are £10 from the society’s website at www.sworgansociety.org/events, from Archway Bookshop in Axminster or on the door. Wine will be available in the interval.