Heater warning after two serious fires

PUBLISHED: 13:08 05 December 2011 | UPDATED: 13:37 05 December 2011

Fire at Exmouth on Salisbury Road. Fire crew were on the scene from 7.00am on Saturday morning. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref exe 8636-49-11AW

Fire at Exmouth on Salisbury Road. Fire crew were on the scene from 7.00am on Saturday morning. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref exe 8636-49-11AW

Archant

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Servce issue advice to East Devon residents.

East Devon residents are being urged to take care when using storage heaters following two serious fires over the weekend.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue issued the warning following the separate incidents on Saturday morning, which are believed to have been started by clothes or other combustible materials placed too close to storage heaters.

One of the incidents occurred in Salisbury Road in Exmouth and caused damage to a row of terraced properties.

A 95-year-old woman died, in a separate fire in Golds Place Mews, High Street, in Cullompton.

Members of the public are being urged to position curtains and furniture at least three feet away from heating appliances and use fireguards to prevent and protect children or pets.

Never dry washing on or near them.

Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home and check them regularly.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald