Heater warning after two serious fires
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Servce issue advice to East Devon residents.
East Devon residents are being urged to take care when using storage heaters following two serious fires over the weekend.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue issued the warning following the separate incidents on Saturday morning, which are believed to have been started by clothes or other combustible materials placed too close to storage heaters.
One of the incidents occurred in Salisbury Road in Exmouth and caused damage to a row of terraced properties.
A 95-year-old woman died, in a separate fire in Golds Place Mews, High Street, in Cullompton.
Members of the public are being urged to position curtains and furniture at least three feet away from heating appliances and use fireguards to prevent and protect children or pets.
Never dry washing on or near them.
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 3 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Seaton's 'Hub Elves' replace loneliness with Christmas cheer
- 6 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 7 Green team monitor water quality levels after pollution fears
- 8 Internal bowls battle in national competition
- 9 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 10 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home and check them regularly.