High Street: Mayor’s response
With reference to your article and letters regarding Honiton High Street.
Yes, I do think that Honiton has one of the best High Streets in Devon. I’m saying this not just because it’s my role as Mayor to promote the town, but because I believe it to be true.
One of the main attractions of the High Street is the number of independent, individual shops. We offer a shopping experience different to the High Streets of some of our major towns where you find the same chain stores.
Honiton is not only a market town serving its residents and surrounding parishes, but also a shopping destination with a thriving market but an ideal place to take a break.
Over the past few years, with the economic downtown, Honiton has bucked the trend with new shops opening and established business’s refurbishing. The town council, chamber of commerce, community college, library, Allhallows Museum, Thelma Hulbert Gallery and the district council all work together as a group to market the town and promote its shopping areas at every opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
The promotion of our town as a shopping destination benefits everyone. We do have one of the best High Streets in Devon and I, for one, am going to keep shouting about it.
Cllr Vernon Whitlock
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Musical treat raises £800 for Afghanistan charity appeal
- 9 Cranbrook prevail in local derby
- 10 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
Honiton Town Mayor