Honiton bell ringers beat off stiff competition
- Credit: Archant
Honiton team crowned the winners of the East Devon striking competition.
It was a successful day for bell ringers in Honiton who were crowned the winners of the East Devon striking competition.
The team recently took on bell ringers from across the district, including Ottery St Mary, Combe Raleigh, Luppitt, Farway and Sidmouth.
They were awarded the Edward Summers Memorial Trophy during the event, which was held at Dukneswell.
Sidmouth were the runners up followed by Farway in third.
You may also want to watch:
Three of the Honiton ringers, taught by Derek Ballard, are relatively new to bell-ringing and team say it was satisfying reward for all their hard work.
Prior to the competiton the ringers were able to fit in some extra ringing practice during the Honiton ringers tour, earlier this month, to South Somerset where they were supported by ringers from Combe Raleigh, Colyton, Ottery St Mary, Sheldon and Syston.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
Last year the tour had to be abandoned because of severe flooding but this year they enjoyed some beautiful sunshine instead.
The Mayor of Honiton, Councillor David Foster, has congratulated the bell ringers of St Paul’s on their win.