Honiton: College reaches out to wider community
New assistant principal Iain Slade is keen to share facilities and ideas with businesses and organisations.
HONITON Community College is poised to reinvigorate its links with the wider town.
Newly-appointed assistant principal Iain Slade, 38, heads up the college’s specialism in science and wants to engage with local organisations and businesses – in a bid to share the college’s state-of-the-art facilities and ideas.
“It is important we don’t end up being seen as an exam factory,” he said.
“We want to be at the centre of the community.”
Mr Slade is appealing to clubs, organisations and businesses to get in touch – if they wish to “team up or offer us something”.
“In particular, we are looking for people with an interest in environmental issues,” he said.
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 3 Hobby cannabis grower from Axminster busted after he 'got greedy'
- 4 Candidates lining up to replace Neil Parish in Tiverton and Honiton
- 5 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 6 Honiton camera club hold snap meeting
- 7 Vanity Fair play to be performed at the Beehive
- 8 Honiton's oldest paper-boy retires
- 9 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 10 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
“We want to set up a Sustainable Honiton group and get the green message out to a wider audience.”
The college is keen to grow its own vegetables for use in the school kitchen and is keen to attract sponsorship or practical help towards developing planters.
It also wants to encourage people to hold master classes in college buildings or Saturday schools.
It has arts resources that could be utilised by local arts groups, a music suite and extensive computer facilities.
Mr Slade was previously head of science at a school in Bristol, which was one of the first to gain outstanding status.
If you would like to find out more about Sustainable Honiton, the college’s vegetable project or use of the school buildings, email Mr Slade - firstname.lastname@example.org