Honiton family’s right royal memories
Former guests to a Buckingham Palace garden party will be watching Prince William and Kate Middleton tie the knot on television.
WHEN Prince William and Kate Middleton tie the knot next month, a Honiton family will be watching the ceremony on television and remembering the day they were guests at a Buckingham Palace garden party.
Brian and Jill Godfrey and their grown-up daughter, Anne, enjoyed a splendid afternoon in the company of Her Majesty the Queen - on the account of Jill’s tireless work for the British Red Cross. The trip took place on July 26, 1990, and Jill remembers: “I wore my Red Cross uniform and felt very smart.
“We were put in the Queen’s row, beside a Beefeater.”
At the time, the Godfreys ran a rare breeds farm at Fenny Bridges and when they were introduced to the Queen by the Lord Chamberlain they were introduced as “farmers from Devon”.
The Queen asked them if they had “circles in the corn”, about the couple’s work in the community and their rare breeds.
“When I mentioned I spun wool from our Jacob sheep, the Queen was very knowledgeable about the subject,” said Jill. Iced coffee was poured from silver urns and tasty cucumber sandwiches were served, along with tiny fruit tarts.
- 1 New management team in place for the Honiton Hippos
- 2 Axminster vehicle extravaganza hailed 'great day out'
- 3 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 4 'Not if, it's when': Neil Parish says Boris Johnson should go
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A35 near Axminster
- 6 Drivers advised to plan journeys as A35 landslip work begins
- 7 One arrest after fuel protests on M5 and A38 in Somerset and Devon
- 8 'Graffiti vandals' target Honiton skate park
- 9 Learn more about the wonders of the Jurassic Coast
- 10 Bestiality video found on jailed drug dealer's phone
“These memories will always be with us,” said Jill. “For the Queen’s Golden Jubilee in 2002 we held a party at our farm. We had quizzes and games, and all the children received a souvenir mug.
“We are so looking forward to watching the royal wedding at our home in Honiton.
“We wish William and Kate all the best for the future.”