Honiton: Fight is on to save Slade's Countrywise
THE Mayor of Honiton is disgusted that Honiton could lose one of its longest established businesses – because of the financial outlay required to relocate it to Heathpark
THE Mayor of Honiton is disgusted that Honiton could lose one of its longest established businesses - because of the financial outlay required to relocate it to Heathpark
After more than a year of negotiations, it was only recently that Slade's Countrywise was made aware of the outlay required to release the site from a restrictive covenant.
Managing director Simon Holder, who described the cost as "a surprise", said he was also concerned about the level of business rates due for the site.
Slade's aims to move to Heathpark Industrial Estate to make way for an Aldi store at Turks Head.
But, at a meeting on Monday, Councillor Vivienne Ash revealed the move is in doubt and that Slade's could disappear from Honiton, meaning job losses.
Addressing Sara Randall Johnson, the leader of East Devon District Council, she said: "This should have been flagged up earlier.
- 1 Honiton firefighters tackle chimney fire
- 2 Massive occasion beckons for Axminster Town FC
- 3 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 4 Learn new skills at Axminster community shed
- 5 Honiton's Marcus aiming for Olympic stardom in China
- 6 Colyton neighbourhood plan now comes into force
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 9 Devon masons donate Typhoon relief support to the Philippines
- 10 Property of the Week: York Close, Axminster
"I think it is very sad for Honiton." Councillor Ash asked if there was anything the district council could do to reduce the financial outlay of the move, but Miss Randall Johnson said such matters should not be aired in public.
Mr Holder, speaking to the Herald yesterday (Tuesday), said no decision on the move would be taken until the New Year.
He confirmed the site's owners are in receivership and that he is still in negotiation with the official receivers.
Planning permission has been granted for the move.