Honiton man Brian is Octochamp of Countdown
BRIAN Selway has got a way with words and, all this week and for part of next, you can see him in action – on daytime television show Countdown.
BRIAN Selway has got a way with words and, all this week and for part of next, you can see him in action - on daytime television show Countdown.
Mr Selway, 36, of George Street, Honiton, is through to this series' quarter finals, being filmed next month.
He was nominated to appear on the show by his sister, Emma Smith, after being a great fan of the show for many years.
The kitchen assistant, who works for Abbeyfield Hill House, Combe Raleigh, said: "I auditioned in Bristol in July on a Wednesday and on the Friday I received an email to say I had got on the show.
You may also want to watch:
"I spent two days filming the shows earlier this month.
"After winning eight games, I became a Countdown Octochampion."
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 5 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 6 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 7 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 8 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
Currently seeded fourth, Mr Selway is now anxious to do well in the quarter final.
"I have to go back in November and we will see how I get on."
Although a dab hand at the word games, Mr Selway, who was educated at Honiton Community College, said he came unstuck a few times when it came to the questions involving numbers.
After winning eight games, he was presented with a champion's goody bag, which included a number of one-off and limited edition Countdown gifts.
Countdown, hosted by Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley, is screened on Channel 4 from Monday to Friday at 3.25pm.