Honiton: Plan for bungalow spurs residents into action

PUBLISHED: 09:26 16 September 2009 | UPDATED: 00:11 16 June 2010

CONCERNED residents from the Heathfield estate in Honiton confronted town councillors last week over fresh plans for a bungalow within the grounds of an existing property.

CONCERNED residents from the Heathfield estate in Honiton confronted town councillors last week over fresh plans for a bungalow within the grounds of an existing property.

Planning permission was refused earlier this year for a three-bedroom bungalow at 1 Oak View. Now new plans, for a two-bedroom bungalow, on the same site have been submitted to East Devon District Council.

Residents, who were assured over 10 years ago that no vehicular access would be allowed onto Old Elm Road, fear a secondary access from 1 Oak View will become a primary access for a new dwelling, if the plan is given the go-ahead.

Councillor Michael Teare, chairman of Honiton Town Council's planning committee, told councillors last Tuesday: "You may recall that we had this before us a while ago.

"Initially, we weren't aware of the strength of feeling and, subsequently, amended our recommendation to East Devon District Council accordingly."

Mr Teare said letters of objection had been received in relation to the fresh plans, submitted by Mr and Mrs Lodge.

Safety concerns about access on Old Elm Road were high on the list of objections, he said.

The council meeting was temporarily suspended to allow objectors to speak.

Gordon Lee, of 26 Oak View, said the application affected a number of trees (lleylandi) and that, although the application was now for a two-bedroom property, the difference, in overall size, was just 12 metres.

"It makes very little difference to the visual aspect," he said.

Joe Taylor told councillors that the application could set a precedent, if vehicular access was allowed onto Old Elm Road.

He expressed strong concerns about the proximity of the proposed access to the roundabout in Sidmouth Road.

"It is an incredibly busy road and having an access at that point would be a total disaster," Mr Taylor said.

He added: "Most of the people on the Heathfield estate feel very, very strongly about this."

Councillor Peter Fleming, the deputy mayor, said: "The secondary access onto Old Elm Road was to park a caravan for six months a year, if I recall."

Councillor Roy Coombs said: "There is an element of precedent here.

"It would be most unfair if this applicant gets permission."

The planning committee recommended the application for refusal.

East Devon District Council will have the final say.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald