Honiton Rugby Club festival gets strong support
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Rugby Club’s annual beer festival on Saturday more than lived up to its billing as a fabulous ‘fun afternoon’ with hearty food and great music.
This year, the popular event was held to raise money towards the building of the clubhouse extension.
The foundations are laid and the exterior walls are up, with the aim of making the building watertight by the winter.
It is hoped the festival, which attracted hundreds of visitors, will have raised several thousand pounds towards the cost of fitting out the new extension, with items like plumbing, electrics and a new kitchen.
Saturday’s on-field activities kicked off with a match between Honiton 1st XV and Sidmouth for the Dave Turner Cup, with the home side hoping not to repeat the drubbing they suffered last year when they lost 70-0. In the end, they still lost to the visitors, who play in a much higher league, but this time by just two points, losing 17-19.
You may also want to watch:
Honiton’s second team also suffered a narrow defeat to Somerset side Wyvern, who also play in a higher league.
Following the matches there was live music from bands, including The Unwanted, 4KD and Bullet.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 9 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 10 Great gran takes plunge at Lyme Regis
A barbecue provided a range of hearty food and there was a good selection of local beers and ciders.
Honiton Rugby Club prides itself on offering something for all ages and providing affordable rugby for all. It is currently seeking new volunteers to help out with its junior and senior sections. For more information, and to help out, visit www.honitonrfc.co.uk or check out the club on Facebook: HRFC.