Honiton students rise to international stardom
The girls of Honiton Community College continue to confound all odds in the basketball world to produce top international players.
The girls of Honiton Community College continue to confound all odds in the basketball world to produce top international players. The four girls in the picture Emily Dunn, Lauren Shawyer, Georgina Paul and Rachael Hopkins have all recently been called up to England squads. Hannah Keating (not pictured) has also been picked to represent SW England under-17s.
Lydia Boland, Laura Woollacott, Ebony Lacey, Shaney Collins and Amy 'Junior' Shawyer are also currently residing in the SW under14 squad!
With a new intake of Year 6 girls having a 3-day training camp on the 6/7/8 July 4.00pm to 5.30 pm Honiton Sports Hall....things just keep getting better and better!
Rachael Hopkins from Honiton Community College has received one of the game's highest honours in being asked to represent her county at an u.16 girls' basketball camp in Slovenia (she goes tomorrow 3 July). Rachael and another girl from Nottingham have been asked to travel during July to receive coaching from some of the top coaches from around the world. Each basketball federation was asked to supply the names of two top players who deserved an all expenses trip and Rachael was picked.
You may also want to watch:
"I cannot believe it! To be asked to represent your country is a great honour. I will try to do my best to justify peoples trust in me," said Rachael.
Her teacher and coach at the college, Mr Henman said: "To be honest I'm not surprised she is a credit to the College, her family and most of all herself. I quite expect to see her and Georgina Paul (also from HCC) playing in the u.6 Girls' European Championships next summer.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 6 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 William conquers 200 books
- 9 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 10 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed