Honiton students scoop top college awards
- Credit: Matt Austin
Pair are crowned as ‘Student of the Year’
A pair of students who live just north of Honiton have been left celebrating after they scooped ‘Student of the Year’ awards.
Exeter College pupils Ryan Demetriou and Molly Maggs were both commended for their efforts at the school’s student awards.
Luppitt resident Ryan received the Adult Essential Skills Student of the Year Award, beating hundreds of adult learners.
The 27-year-old was described as a ‘true example of the determination to succeed’, with his tutors adding: “Ryan is a joy to teach due to his motivation and openness to try new approaches.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a very generous person, who was always ready to help other students.”
Molly, who lives in Buckerell, was the youngest of the students at the awards event, having scooped the 14 to 16 Practical Learning Student award.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 9 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
The 17-year-old was nominated by her tutor for displaying a ‘real passion for learning and being unfazed as the only female member in her group’.
She was also praised for her ‘calm yet confident manner’, which enabled her to take the lead at key moments in the practical activities of her course.
Exeter College principal Richard Atkins said: “Throughout the year, faculties and departments hold a wide variety of events and award ceremonies but tonight we are celebrating our top awards, the winners of the winners in many cases.
“These awards illustrate the inclusive, highly academic and strongly vocational nature of our college for young people and adults from right across Exeter, Devon, Torbay and West Dorset. We are very proud of their successes.”
The awards were held at the Thistle Hotel in Exeter, in front of nearly 200 family, friends, college staff and local business and community leaders.