Honiton woman died after choking on bacon sandwich

PUBLISHED: 12:35 29 June 2016 | UPDATED: 12:35 29 June 2016

Archant

Lucy Deacon passed away at Abbyfield Hill House, in Dunkeswell Road, Combe Raleigh on January 9

A Honiton woman died after accidentally choking on a bacon sandwich, a coroner has ruled.

Mrs Lucy Deacon passed away at Abbyfield Hill House, in Dunkeswell Road, Combe Raleigh on January 9.

The court heard on the evening of her death, the 95-year-old widow had been checked upon three times by staff before a carer returned, to take her a cup of tea, to find the retired librarian unresponsive in her chair.

Her carer checked for a pulse but there was none, which is when she called for help and an ambulance before she and another member of staff moved Mrs Deacon to the floor and started CPR.

The court heard an ambulance was called at 6.14pm and arrived at 6.29pm to find Mrs Deacon in cardiac arrest.

The paramedic found her airway was blocked by a piece of bacon, about 15cm long and

3cm wide, so removed it with forceps.

Despite their best efforts her heart would not start and

they confirmed her death at 7.03pm.

Mrs Lynn Pulman, care home manager, said they had never been told or found Mrs Deacon, who had lived at Hill House since December, 2014, had any swallowing difficulties.

Her GP also verified this.

Exeter and Greater Devon Coroner Dr Elizabeth Earland said the cause of death was inhalation of food.

She added: “I am satisfied her death was an unexpected consequence of a normal activity and so my conclusion is accidental death.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald