Hundreds turn out to cheer Lyme armada
A record 12 new boats are launched by academy students
STUDENTS from Lyme Regis Boat Building Academy finally got to show off their months’ of hard work with a mass launch to mark the end of their course.
A record 12 boats were led down to the harbour by renowned local seafarer Roy Gollop.
They included a wide range of construction types, from traditional clinker to a glass, resin- infused, rowing boat designed by Instructor Justin Adkin.
Around 300 well-wishers gathered to watch the boats take their first voyage and cheer as director Tim Gedge wished them well.
You may also want to watch:
After the launch the students were awarded certificates before setting off to the Thames Boat Show in Berkshire to exhibit their craft and newfound skills.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Wildwood Escot ready for a frighteningly good October half term
- 9 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 10 Cranbrook prevail in local derby