Hypocrites?

PUBLISHED: 02:01 24 September 2008 | UPDATED: 22:21 15 June 2010

I came to live in this friendly place called Honiton some eight years ago. It is indeed a friendly place because when people meet in the street, the shops or in the barber's chair, they chatter and gossip about everything and everybody. One man, who used

I came to live in this friendly place called Honiton some eight years ago. It is indeed a friendly place because when people meet in the street, the shops or in the barber's chair, they chatter and gossip about everything and everybody. One man, who used to attend church three times a day every Sunday, told me that he has stopped going to church. "And why is that?" I asked him. "Because many are hypocrites," he said. "Give me an example" I replied. He thought for a while then observed: "They go to church and sing All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all...then they go home and sit down for their Sunday lunch of roast chicken or turkey breast. "As they stick their forks into the juicy flesh, how many of them think about the short and brutish lives these suffering creatures live? Christians are not stupid, they are just thoughtless. They themselves do not inflict torture on animals but they do condone it by buying cheap meat from factory farms in the supermarkets." Then he turned to me and asked: "You are a priest, how do you cope?" "Quite simply", I said, "by becoming a 98 per cent vegetarian. "The other 2 per cent is when I eat a humanely killed organic rabbit." Rev Merfyn TempleHoniton


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald