Is East Devon ready for an Independent MP?
THE anger that has surrounded the MPs expenses scandal could have left a question mark over the future of party politics, according independent councillors in East Devon.
THE anger that has surrounded the MPs' expenses scandal could have left a question mark over the future of party politics, according independent councillors in East Devon.
Now they want to know if East Devon is ready to field an independent candidate to challenge the major parties at the next General Election.
During a series of meetings in towns and villages across the district in the coming months they propose to promote the idea of an independent parliamentary candidate and to decide who that candidate might be.
Independent Group Leader Mike Green of Beer said there was anger among members of the public over the way numerous MPs of all the major parties had systematically abused the allowances system which they had introduced.
You may also want to watch:
Said Mr Green: "The seven independent East Devon District councillors believe the people of East Devon wish to have a parliamentary system that is honest, open, transparent and accountable, and a system that reflects the wishes of the general public."
Mr Green said there continued to be a sense of disillusionment with party politics and a view that the political parties have brought the parliamentary system into disrepute, and threatened the integrity of the country's democratic process.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Roy Hart from Honiton
- 2 Farmer who killed biker in crash gets his licence back
- 3 Tractor and trailer overturn on A30 blocking one lane - traffic queuing
- 4 East Devon child abuser Graeme Ellis jailed for eight years
- 5 Excitement grows as countdown to Charter Day begins
- 6 Covid case rise in Devon's young people prompts warning
- 7 Latest planning applications in East Devon
- 8 Major accolade for driving school
- 9 Nick's cider adventure gets off to a golden start
- 10 We won't be truly safe until we have a global vaccine programme
He added: "We know that local people like to be represented on their local councils by independent councillors, who are not subjected to a political party whip and are free to work for their constituents' best interests.
"We would like to know whether East Devon people would like to be represented by an independent MP."
The independents are proposing to field a candidate who has close links with the district who has lived here for a long time and would continue to do so.
To find out about the planned meetings, call Ben Ingham, Lympstone, on
07907 965358 or Roger Giles, Ottery St Mary, on 07765 423748 or email email@example.com