Jock's cancer battle inspires firefighters to fund-raise
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague s battle with cancer.
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague's battle with cancer.
Derek Malcolm, known as Jock, has been a firefighter in Honiton for 20 years.
Recently, he underwent surgery and chemotherapy for stomach cancer.
His colleagues are now due to attempt the arduous Three Peaks Challenge - to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Care and the Firefighters' Charity.
You may also want to watch:
The firefighters will be supporting a further cause, the Honiton-based Baton charity.
During next month's challenge, they will carry the Baton, a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces.
- 1 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 2 Town's Market Charter Day event is set to be biggest, say organisers
- 3 Hundreds of sites are earmarked for new development
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 800th anniversary makes town's celebrated event a hot topic this year
- 6 Property of the Week: Otter Mill
- 7 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
- 8 He was going, going gone... but now TV auctioneer is back
- 9 Scheme for affordable homes on old football pitch moves step closer
- 10 It's time to get on your bike for the Hospiscare Tour de Devon
Former Royal Marine Richard Branson is leading the team.
Earlier this month, the firefighters staged a fund-raising car wash at their station, in Dowell Street.
If you would like to sponsor the effort, contact Mr Branson on (01404) 42668.