Jock's cancer battle inspires firefighters to fund-raise
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague s battle with cancer.
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague's battle with cancer.
Derek Malcolm, known as Jock, has been a firefighter in Honiton for 20 years.
Recently, he underwent surgery and chemotherapy for stomach cancer.
His colleagues are now due to attempt the arduous Three Peaks Challenge - to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Care and the Firefighters' Charity.
You may also want to watch:
The firefighters will be supporting a further cause, the Honiton-based Baton charity.
During next month's challenge, they will carry the Baton, a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces.
- 1 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 2 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 3 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 4 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 5 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 6 MP gets a flavour of community food project's new base
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 Volunteers unite again to launch Operation Rudolph
- 9 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 10 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
Former Royal Marine Richard Branson is leading the team.
Earlier this month, the firefighters staged a fund-raising car wash at their station, in Dowell Street.
If you would like to sponsor the effort, contact Mr Branson on (01404) 42668.