Jock's cancer battle inspires firefighters to fund-raise
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague s battle with cancer.
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague's battle with cancer.
Derek Malcolm, known as Jock, has been a firefighter in Honiton for 20 years.
Recently, he underwent surgery and chemotherapy for stomach cancer.
His colleagues are now due to attempt the arduous Three Peaks Challenge - to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Care and the Firefighters' Charity.
You may also want to watch:
The firefighters will be supporting a further cause, the Honiton-based Baton charity.
During next month's challenge, they will carry the Baton, a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces.
- 1 Millwey Rise 2 Pinhoe 0
- 2 Caroline and Steve Bond win Covid Cup at Axe Cliff
- 3 Hollie's happy to be in the Little Shop of vouchers
- 4 Flitch Success for the Armstrong family
- 5 Author's school visit takes the biscuit
- 6 Property of the Week: The Grove, Colyton
- 7 When former emperor Napolean came to Devon
- 8 Honiton carers' group meets again
- 9 Tourist attraction scoops prestigious award for 'tramathon' live event
- 10 Jack's back with a fresh emphasis on community
Former Royal Marine Richard Branson is leading the team.
Earlier this month, the firefighters staged a fund-raising car wash at their station, in Dowell Street.
If you would like to sponsor the effort, contact Mr Branson on (01404) 42668.