Jock's cancer battle inspires firefighters to fund-raise
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague s battle with cancer.
FIREFIGHTERS from Honiton are embarking on a challenge, inspired by one of their colleague's battle with cancer.
Derek Malcolm, known as Jock, has been a firefighter in Honiton for 20 years.
Recently, he underwent surgery and chemotherapy for stomach cancer.
His colleagues are now due to attempt the arduous Three Peaks Challenge - to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Care and the Firefighters' Charity.
You may also want to watch:
The firefighters will be supporting a further cause, the Honiton-based Baton charity.
During next month's challenge, they will carry the Baton, a symbol of the nation's pride in the armed forces.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 8 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 9 Riding through the lockdown restrictions
- 10 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
Former Royal Marine Richard Branson is leading the team.
Earlier this month, the firefighters staged a fund-raising car wash at their station, in Dowell Street.
If you would like to sponsor the effort, contact Mr Branson on (01404) 42668.