Jubilee People’s Millions bid filmed for ITV
Broadhembury Village Hall and vintage bus take centre stage as 30 Honiton Memory Cafe supporters take part in filming.
ITV cameras were rolling when two TRIP buses rolled up to Broadhembury Village Hall with more than 30 Honiton Memory Cafe supporters on board.
Dementia sufferers, their carers and memory cafe volunteers were met by a film crew yesterday - eager to portray Age UK Devon’s Jubilee People’s Millions bid.
Taking centre stage was a vintage bus, which is the focal point of the Heading Along Memory Lane bid.
If Age UK Devon is voted a winner, up to �60,000 of Big Lottery cash will pay for a series of six trips down memory lane and local dementia sufferers will benefit.
You may also want to watch:
“The link between Age UK and our memory cafe is clear,” said Heather Penwarden, chairman of the cafe’s board of trustees. “Both groups try to help men and women with dementia by bringing back some happy memories to them.”
Many were given a taster of the 1950s double-decker fun to be enjoyed around east Devon, should the bid succeed.
- 1 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 2 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 6 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 7 Judith is miles ahead in climate change action campaign
- 8 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 9 Turkish delight for Axe Valley Runner
- 10 Increase in hate crime across Devon and Cornwall
The memories began when two retired full-time Exeter bus drivers, Nick Muir and Steve Clarke, helped them aboard and the passengers sang songs from long ago as one drove down narrow lanes and the other refused offered bus passes and instead issued tickets from a machine hung around conductors’ shoulders in years gone by.
The cameraman kept rocking but managed to keep rolling, on two trips. The film footage is due to be screened on West County Tonight on Monday.
A splendid lunch was then served in the hall and the cafe’s own soloist, well-known actress and singer, Jan Sutcliffe led more singing.
Vote for Honiton in the Jubilee People’s Millions! Voting lines will be open for one day only. Tune in to ITV West Country Tonight at 6pm on Monday, June 27, to find out how you can vote.