Just one Prawnetto
Seafood flavoured ice cream goes on sale in East Devon.
AN Axminster fishmonger has launched a new line in seafood flavoured ice cream.
And despite its unusual taste Simon Bennett is hoping to sell more than “just one…Prawnetto”.
So far he admits reaction to his prawn and smoked salmon ice has been “mixed”.
But Mr Bennett, who operates a fresh fish stall at Miller’s Farm Shop in Kilmington, is confident it will be a success.
You may also want to watch:
He says it is a proven recipe and was once a hit with people taking the sea air in the posh French resort of Biarritz.
He said: “It was very popular there in the 1950s. I read about it in a book and though I’d have a go.
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 3 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 4 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 5 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 6 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 7 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
“The ice cream is made from cherry tomatoes and then topped with smoke salmon and king prawns. We then add a spoonful of chopped chives – the savoury equivalent of a Cadbury’s flake!”
Mr Bennett has been test marketing his Prawnettos in traditional cones from his Old Watch House fish shop in Lyme Regis on Sundays for around
�2 a go.
He added: “ People who have tried it so far have had a mixed reaction.
“The trouble is your brain says one thing – like ‘no’! - but your taste buds say another - ‘that’s not bad’.”