Just one Prawnetto
Seafood flavoured ice cream goes on sale in East Devon.
AN Axminster fishmonger has launched a new line in seafood flavoured ice cream.
And despite its unusual taste Simon Bennett is hoping to sell more than “just one…Prawnetto”.
So far he admits reaction to his prawn and smoked salmon ice has been “mixed”.
But Mr Bennett, who operates a fresh fish stall at Miller’s Farm Shop in Kilmington, is confident it will be a success.
He says it is a proven recipe and was once a hit with people taking the sea air in the posh French resort of Biarritz.
He said: “It was very popular there in the 1950s. I read about it in a book and though I’d have a go.
- 1 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 2 Date reportedly set for Tiverton and Honiton by-election
- 3 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 4 Chard youngsters overcome fears and make memories at activity centre
- 5 Recycled toy shop's kind gesture to Ukrainian families
- 6 Grantchester star and former Colyton Grammar student Tom Brittney goes ‘back to school’
- 7 Talaton gardens re-opens for the summer
- 8 Biker killed in Devon crash named
- 9 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 10 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
“The ice cream is made from cherry tomatoes and then topped with smoke salmon and king prawns. We then add a spoonful of chopped chives – the savoury equivalent of a Cadbury’s flake!”
Mr Bennett has been test marketing his Prawnettos in traditional cones from his Old Watch House fish shop in Lyme Regis on Sundays for around
�2 a go.
He added: “ People who have tried it so far have had a mixed reaction.
“The trouble is your brain says one thing – like ‘no’! - but your taste buds say another - ‘that’s not bad’.”