Kilmington hopes dashed with sale of building
THE property behind Kilmington Primary School has been sold to bidders, despite the school s pleas for Devon County Council to buy it.
THE property behind Kilmington Primary School has been sold to bidders, despite the school's pleas for Devon County Council to buy it.
The two-storey, two-bedroom cottage was sold by West Country Property Auctions for �160,000 on Thursday, July 9.
But school staff and parents fear, with vehicles in the area, it could be dangerous for children who have to cross the road regularly.
Headteacher Malcolm Bettison said: "We will need someone on duty at all times. I'm not sure the authority really appreciates the problems we're going to have. It's a real concern and the safety of the children is our priority."
You may also want to watch:
(WPCA) chartered surveyor and senior auctioneer Graham Barton said: "Our sympathies lay hugely with the school but sadly we had a job to do and that's how it goes sometimes.
"It was because of the timing and the [county] council's inability to fund a bid. Beneficiaries were also involved and they are entitled to their bequest."
- 1 Half-year property sales are twice the five-year average
- 2 UK’s fastest hillclimb drivers heading to Honiton
- 3 Yarty Party Time - and what a success
- 4 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 7 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 8 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 9 The mystery of the meaning behind Honiton's town seal
- 10 Great gran takes plunge at Lyme Regis
A spokesman for Devon County Council said: "There are limited funds available for primary school investment in Devon and they are made through the Primary Capital Programme (PCP)."
He said the school will be reviewed later this year to determine its future PCP investment.