WITH reference to car parking charges: we had the same problem with increased car parking charges in Ottery St Mary. Eventually, after a huge campaign, East Devon District Council reduced them (a bit). The council was really unsympathetic to our requests.
WITH reference to car parking charges: we had the same problem with increased car parking charges in Ottery St Mary. Eventually, after a huge campaign, East Devon District Council reduced them (a bit).
The council was really unsympathetic to our requests.
They were high-handed and tried their best to browbeat us into submission.
You wouldn't think they were there to look after our interests!
You may also want to watch:
For instance, the council said it had increased the "highest minimum stay tariff" to help local shopkeepers by encouraging visitors to stay longer.
(Not driving shoppers away to Tesco where they don't have to pay!)
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 7 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
It also stated that the council was charging more here "to proactively support lesser used car parks in the district".
EDDC is squeezing as much out of motorists as it can so it can pretend to reduce the council tax and crow about how clever councillors are.
Apart from being unethical, this policy is having a very negative effect on local communities, local shops, tourism and general quality of life.
The council won't be satisfied until we are all living in dead dormitory towns.
It's all so short-sighted, it beggars belief.
I hope folks in Honiton stand up to the "Economy Directorate" and their insidious policy, which is nothing short of legalised robbery
Ottery St Mary