Lift shaft was built years ago
Mrs Pember is right (Midweek Herald August 26) in raising concerns about disabled access to the town hall and right in expressing concern about the cost of doing up Willoughby House – a house designated as one of the 10 most derelict properties in Devon.
Mrs Pember is right (Midweek Herald August 26) in raising concerns about disabled access to the town hall and right in expressing concern about the cost of doing up Willoughby House - a house designated as one of the 10 most derelict properties in Devon.
Our council has taken leave of it senses in rushing to speculate on such a derelict and poorly sited property.
What Mrs Pember, perhaps, doesn't realise is that, when EDDC was given the town hall all those years ago, they started a building project to enlarge and upgrade the premises.
It was never completed and there is now a false ceiling that surmounts the strengthening work that was undertaken at the time.
You may also want to watch:
There is also a lift shaft in place, next to the office, that was intended to contain a two person lift to the upper floors of the town hall. In other words, the basic structures are in place to re-model, enlarge and greatly enhance the lovely old town hall that should rightly belong to the town.
The town council should take a more measured view of relocation, get out of the property speculation business and do Seaton the great service of ensuring that our town hall is not just improved, but becomes one of the finest town halls in Devon. It could be done.
- 1 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 2 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 3 Jo’s family go the distance to support cancer charity
- 4 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens
- 5 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 8 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 9 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 10 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'