Lions Club mourning deaths
Loss of prominent members Roland Buckingham and Ralph Hibbert.
HONITON and District Lions Club is mourning the deaths of two prominent members - Roland Buckingham and Ralph Hibbert, both previously awarded the Lions’ highest honour, the Melvin Jones Fellowship.
A third member of the club suffered a suspected heart attack while atteninding Mr Buckingham’s funeral.
Founder member Mr Buckingham, a fomer driving instructor, was the club’s welfare officer for many years. He was 93.
Mr Hibbert, 72, died at his home in Honiton on September 1. His funeral service is taking place on Thursday at Exeter and Devon Crematorium, at 10.45am. Donations collected during the service are to be split between the Lions Club and Hospiscare Honiton.
You may also want to watch:
Lions’ president Brian Richards paid tribute to both members, saying: “They will be greatly missed by all.”
- 1 Racist graffiti daubed on The Volunteer pub in Honiton
- 2 East Devon reports rise in Covid cases
- 3 Honiton supermarket reopens bigger and better
- 4 Landscape firm wins award for work on new housing development
- 5 Closing of the rinks at Axminster Bowls
- 6 Property of the Week: Castle Hill, Seaton
- 7 Artists collaborate with council on next stage of town's art trail
- 8 Festival fishing in Torbay and Lyme Regis
- 9 Rogue builder jailed for ripping off Honiton customers
- 10 Have your say on shape of future town development