Lions Club mourning deaths
Loss of prominent members Roland Buckingham and Ralph Hibbert.
HONITON and District Lions Club is mourning the deaths of two prominent members - Roland Buckingham and Ralph Hibbert, both previously awarded the Lions’ highest honour, the Melvin Jones Fellowship.
A third member of the club suffered a suspected heart attack while atteninding Mr Buckingham’s funeral.
Founder member Mr Buckingham, a fomer driving instructor, was the club’s welfare officer for many years. He was 93.
Mr Hibbert, 72, died at his home in Honiton on September 1. His funeral service is taking place on Thursday at Exeter and Devon Crematorium, at 10.45am. Donations collected during the service are to be split between the Lions Club and Hospiscare Honiton.
You may also want to watch:
Lions’ president Brian Richards paid tribute to both members, saying: “They will be greatly missed by all.”
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 3 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 4 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 5 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 6 Have your say on future development of village
- 7 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 8 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
- 9 Sisters urge supporters to keep giving as mum battles to beat cancer
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help