'Local authorities will never trust Honiton again'
I DON T want to see a penny wasted The view of town and district councillor Peter Halse on the subject of the Beehive Community Centre.
I DON'T want to see a penny wasted" The view of town and district councillor Peter Halse on the subject of the Beehive Community Centre.
Addressing a meeting of electors, he said: "Twenty years ago, I was against this project.
"I didn't believe there was an authority that could keep it going."
He had changed his mind after being impressed by work carried out by the current town council.
In a stark warning to those who oppose the project, he said: "If you vote it down, �300,000 will go straight back to East Devon District Council.
"Axminster is a go-ahead town. They will take that money and �500,000 of developers' money will go as well."
- 1 Record crowd watches Axminster Town take on Exeter City
- 2 East Devon shop reaches out to support local cancer charity
- 3 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 4 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
- 5 Ace performer at Axe Cliff Golf Club
- 6 Policing activity in Honiton, Axminster and Colyford
- 7 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 8 Bad start to 2022 continues for exasperated Beer Albion
- 9 More rugby progress and education for Honiton Under-11s
- 10 Massive occasion beckons for Axminster Town FC
Councillor Halse said he was "rather like a tiger in a cage putting my paw out".
"If you turn this down now, okay - on your heads be it," he added, claiming no local authority would trust Honiton again.
l A town poll will be held on a date to be set, but Honiton Town Council is under no legal obligation to act on the result.