Lyme cheddar’s “cheesy” royal wedding message
Customers choose less than congratulatory version of Wills and Kate’s commemorative cheese.
MOST people are already cheesed off with the royal wedding – according to sales of a commemorative cheddar.
Two versions have been created by the Town Mill Cheesemongers at Lyme Regis – one with a label congratulating Wills and Kate on their special day and the other declaring “Sod the wedding – it’s a day off!”
Sales of the less than congratulatory cheese are outstripping the other by eight to one.
Shop owner Justin Tunstall said they had set out to make only the upbeat version of the black waxed Mature Dorset Cheddar, from Ford Farm.
But he added: “Somewhat as an afterthought, and in the spirit of inclusiveness, a decision was made to have another label for those less enthusiastic about the brouhaha surrounding April 29.
“Perhaps surprisingly, we’ve sold a lot of these cheeses, yet comparatively few of the celebratory ones.
- 1 Honiton firefighters tackle chimney fire
- 2 Massive occasion beckons for Axminster Town FC
- 3 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 4 Learn new skills at Axminster community shed
- 5 Honiton's Marcus aiming for Olympic stardom in China
- 6 Colyton neighbourhood plan now comes into force
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 9 Devon masons donate Typhoon relief support to the Philippines
- 10 Property of the Week: York Close, Axminster
“Which probably means that any hopes of a future Royal Warrant for the Town Mill Cheesemonger are fading fast!”