Lyme cheddar’s “cheesy” royal wedding message
Customers choose less than congratulatory version of Wills and Kate’s commemorative cheese.
MOST people are already cheesed off with the royal wedding – according to sales of a commemorative cheddar.
Two versions have been created by the Town Mill Cheesemongers at Lyme Regis – one with a label congratulating Wills and Kate on their special day and the other declaring “Sod the wedding – it’s a day off!”
Sales of the less than congratulatory cheese are outstripping the other by eight to one.
Shop owner Justin Tunstall said they had set out to make only the upbeat version of the black waxed Mature Dorset Cheddar, from Ford Farm.
You may also want to watch:
But he added: “Somewhat as an afterthought, and in the spirit of inclusiveness, a decision was made to have another label for those less enthusiastic about the brouhaha surrounding April 29.
“Perhaps surprisingly, we’ve sold a lot of these cheeses, yet comparatively few of the celebratory ones.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 3 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 4 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 5 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 6 Seaton tourist attraction to stay closed to the public
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 9 Village youngsters excited by opening of new pump track
- 10 Property of the Week: Marcella House, Kilmington
“Which probably means that any hopes of a future Royal Warrant for the Town Mill Cheesemonger are fading fast!”