Lyme cheddar’s “cheesy” royal wedding message
Customers choose less than congratulatory version of Wills and Kate’s commemorative cheese.
MOST people are already cheesed off with the royal wedding – according to sales of a commemorative cheddar.
Two versions have been created by the Town Mill Cheesemongers at Lyme Regis – one with a label congratulating Wills and Kate on their special day and the other declaring “Sod the wedding – it’s a day off!”
Sales of the less than congratulatory cheese are outstripping the other by eight to one.
Shop owner Justin Tunstall said they had set out to make only the upbeat version of the black waxed Mature Dorset Cheddar, from Ford Farm.
You may also want to watch:
But he added: “Somewhat as an afterthought, and in the spirit of inclusiveness, a decision was made to have another label for those less enthusiastic about the brouhaha surrounding April 29.
“Perhaps surprisingly, we’ve sold a lot of these cheeses, yet comparatively few of the celebratory ones.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
“Which probably means that any hopes of a future Royal Warrant for the Town Mill Cheesemonger are fading fast!”