Lyme golf day raises above par total
- Credit: Archant
Top chef Mark Hix goes clubbing to help Lyme and Axminster Rotarians raise £4,300 for worthy causes
Even the weather was above par when 34 teams took part in the annual charity golf day organised by Axminster and Lyme Regis Rotary Clubs.
The seventh annual event, staged in bright spring sunshine on the course at Lyme, was declared “a tremendous success”, raising some £4,300.
The major sponsor, and first to drive off, was acclaimed chef and restaurateur Mark Hix and his team from the resort’s Hix Oyster and Fish House. They were followed by members of local Rotary clubs, businesses and friends.
In addition to the Hix team, there were more than 20 other sponsors who showed their commitment to the local community by generously adding contributions, helping to bring the total raised over the past seven years to £25,000.
You may also want to watch:
Half the proceeds will go to The Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance and The Devon Air Ambulance charities. The remaining 50 per cent will be distributed to other Lyme Regis and Axminster local charities and organisations.
Co-organiser Richard Salisbury, of Axminster Rotary Club, said: “I am just amazed at the support given to this event by local businesses, and what a great day all golfers have had.”
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Next year’s event will be held on Tuesday, May 13 when organsiers are hoping for more bright and sunny weather.