Lyme students take the helm
Navy cadets join the crew of HMS Raider for high speed sea trials
TEN Royal Navy Cadets from Woodroffe School took part in sea trials aboard patrol ship HMS Raider.
The youngsters were welcomed aboard by the Captain, Lieutenant Richie Gray, and his crew before the vessel was put through her paces off Plymouth Sound.
“It was a lumpy sea and motoring at 20 knots through the swell was not for the fainthearted,” said a school spokesman.
“ All the Cadets were allowed to helm the boat from the flying bridge and some tried their hand at navigation.
You may also want to watch:
“Back in the sound, we gently cruised back up the river whilst enjoying lunch and were all too soon back alongside.”
The cadets thanked Lieutenant Gray and his crew for a “fantastic day” and rare opportunity.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 6 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Musical treat raises £800 for Afghanistan charity appeal
- 9 Cranbrook prevail in local derby
- 10 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents