Lyme students take the helm
Navy cadets join the crew of HMS Raider for high speed sea trials
TEN Royal Navy Cadets from Woodroffe School took part in sea trials aboard patrol ship HMS Raider.
The youngsters were welcomed aboard by the Captain, Lieutenant Richie Gray, and his crew before the vessel was put through her paces off Plymouth Sound.
“It was a lumpy sea and motoring at 20 knots through the swell was not for the fainthearted,” said a school spokesman.
“ All the Cadets were allowed to helm the boat from the flying bridge and some tried their hand at navigation.
You may also want to watch:
“Back in the sound, we gently cruised back up the river whilst enjoying lunch and were all too soon back alongside.”
The cadets thanked Lieutenant Gray and his crew for a “fantastic day” and rare opportunity.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters