Lyme Town Band springs surprise party
They knew they were coming so they baked a cake
THERE were fanfares for two members of Lyme Regis Town Band when they arrived at the latest meeting.
A special cake was part of the surprise celebrations for the unsuspecting subjects - Eric Hodder and Rory Dyer.
Bass player Eric, celebrating his 70th birthday, was a founder member of the band, which this year marks 30 years of providing music throughout the area. He has given it loyal service during this period, contributing much to its continued success.
By contrast, Rory, celebrating his 13th birthday, is the band’s newest recruit, having been recently welcomed into the cornet section. He took his first lessons with the band’s learning class 18 months ago and made excellent progress.
You may also want to watch:
The band’s approach to learners has recently been restyled with the establishment of a training band, under the direction of members Nicky and Jane Herbert. Teaching takes place through performance in the training band which will make its debut at the St George’s Day concert on Easter Saturday, April 23. New recruits of all ages are warmly welcomed and anyone interested should contact the musical director on 07899008985.
The band also now boasts a brand-new website, www.lymeregistownband.co.uk set up with considerable help from Gavin Tyte, Vicar of Uplyme, to whom the band is greatly indebted.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 9 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 10 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony