MADNESS: Drivers dicing with death at Dunkeswell Airfield
Police seize van after driver caught doing handbrake turns on snow covered runway. Runway lights damaged and windows smashed.
POLICE have seized a Vauxhall Vivaro van after its driver was caught doing handbrake turns on the snow-covered runway at Dunkeswell Airfield
Officers, who responded to reports of anti-social driving at the airfield at around 9.30pm on Saturday night, discovered the driver, from Bridport, had previously been issued with a warning about his driving.
The offence he committed on the runway was driving other than on a road and causing alarm, distress and annoyance to the landowner.
The offender will have to pay a recovery fee of �105 and �12 storage per day, as well as being reported to court.
A police spokesman said: “This is a warning to all drivers that police and the landowners at Dunkeswell Airfield and the surrounding industrial estates will not tolerate anti-social driving at any time, especially during these cold, icy conditions.
“The landowner of the airfield has suffered damage to the strip lights on the runway. Also, a business owner had two windows smashed due to grit and gravel being thrown up by the wheels on the motor vehicles and hitting the glass.
- 1 Record crowd watches Axminster Town take on Exeter City
- 2 East Devon shop reaches out to support local cancer charity
- 3 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 4 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
- 5 Ace performer at Axe Cliff Golf Club
- 6 Policing activity in Honiton, Axminster and Colyford
- 7 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 8 Bad start to 2022 continues for exasperated Beer Albion
- 9 More rugby progress and education for Honiton Under-11s
- 10 Massive occasion beckons for Axminster Town FC
“This driver was identified by using CCTV on the industrial estate and will pay �200 towards the damage caused.”