Major blaze closes Axminster town centre

PUBLISHED: 17:33 17 April 2008 | UPDATED: 21:44 15 June 2010

A MAJOR fire in Axminster, which closed off the town centre, saw firefighters from across the area go to the scene.

A MAJOR fire in Axminster, which closed off the town centre, saw firefighters from across the area go to the scene.The blaze at Webster's Garage, in Lyme Road, was reported to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service (DSFRS) at 1.30pm on Thursday, April 17, and the police evacuated the area when a risk of asbestos in the building became apparent.Appliances from Axminster, Colyton and Lyme Regis plus the aerial ladder platform vehicle from Exeter attended the fire in the garage, which has been derelict for many years.The building was described as "well alight" by DSFRS and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to deal with the fire.They later withdrew from the building to tackle it from outside.Police reportedroads around the building were reopened at 3.30pm.For more details and a picture of the fire, see next week's Midweek Herald.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald