Major fire at Newton Poppleford home
PUBLISHED: 22:57 28 March 2017 | UPDATED: 09:09 30 March 2017
Crews from across East Devon tackle flames - with property said to be 'fully engulfed'
Firefighters are tackling a thatched roof blaze at a house in Newton Poppleford tonight (Tuesday).
Crews were called at around 7.20pm. The property was said to be ‘fully engulfed’ in flames at around 9pm.
Firefighters from Sidmouth, Ottery St Mary, Exmouth, Honiton and Exeter were all mobilised to the scene.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “The fire service was called to reports of a chimney fire, with a thatch roof which was smoking. Fire control initially mobilised eight pumping appliances to this incident. The appliances were sent from Sidmouth, Ottery St Mary, Middlemoor, Exmouth, Honiton, Danes Castle to attend this incident, together with a water bowser from Danes Castle, and Incident Command Unit.
“Upon arrival, crews confirmed smoke and flames were issuing from the thatched roof and was fully involved in fire. Crews got to work using two breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, one main jet, one safety jet. Crews requested Western Power to attend this incident to isolate the electrical supply.
“At 7.43pm, crews requested a further four pumping appliance to attend. These were mobilised from Danes Castle, Colyton, Exmouth and Topsham. Crews then requested the high volume pump from the Special Operations Station in Exeter to attend. At 8.59pm, crews on scene confirmed the property was fully engulfed in fire.
At 9.45pm, the incident was reduced to 10 appliances and the high volume pump was stood down. Crews on scene requested a three pump relief crew for 11pm.”
The incident is ongoing, said the spokesperson.