Major gas leak at Axminster

PUBLISHED: 11:30 22 November 2012

Axminster fire station

Axminster fire station

Archant

Fire crews called after main is accidentally drilled through at Kirby Close

Firefighters were called to an Axminster housing estate today (Thursday) after reports that workmen had accidentally drilled through a gas main.

Appliances from Axminster and Colyton, along with a gas detector monitor from Middlemoor, were sent to the incident at Kirby Close at around 10am.

Crews confirmed that the gas main was leaking but were unable to take any action until the arrival of the gas company so they could isolate the main supply.

A gas engineer subsequently attended and isolated the supply, crews then made the area safe and stood by with firefighting equipment as a precaution.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald