Make sure it’s only passion that’s smouldering
Don’t let your Valentine’s Day become too hot to handle.
Don’t let a fire dampen your night of passion this Valentine’s Day.
Couples planning a romantic evening are being urged by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service to make sure their celebrations don’t get too hot to handle this year.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “With 57 per cent of fires starting in the kitchen during 2011, it is all too easy to get distracted when cooking your loved one a special meal, especially after a drink.”
For those planning to cook a romantic meal make sure you don’t get distracted and turn the oven off if you are away from the kitchen.
Ensure saucepan handles are not sticking out over the edge of the hob and make sure there are no tea towels, oven gloves on top of the cooker.
Keep anything flammable, including pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains, away from the cooker top.
- 1 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Colyton decides on new neighbourhood development plan
- 6 Charity golf circus on the Honiton greens
- 7 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 8 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 9 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
- 10 There are troubling consequences for all of us in this real life satire
Check the over is switched off once you have finished cooking.
When using candles ensure they are placed on a heat-resistant surface and placed in a proper candle holder so they do not fall over.
Keep candles away from curtains, fabrics, clothes, or furniture and away from draughts.
Homeowners should ensure they have a working smoke alarm.