Maritime Lyme year to be launched on January 3
Town to celebrate its seafaring heritage
A DAY of family fun will launch Maritime Lyme year.
Celebrations to mark the town’s seafaring heritage will get under way with an action packed programme on Monday, January 3.
Starting point at 11am is the RNLI Lifeboat Station which is celebrating its 150th anniversary. Staff and crew will welcome visitors and offer New Year’s refreshment.
Nearby at the slipway, traditional boat-builder Gail McGarva will challenge everyone to ‘beat a rivet’ into a miniature plank of elm as a souvenir of the beginning of Maritime Lyme 2011.
You may also want to watch:
Close by will be the Jurassic Coastin’ campervan, a mini-information centre with advice on fossil-handling, the Jurassic Coast and National Trust. If the sea is not too rough, Lyme Regis Gig Club will demonstrate rowing in a Cornish Pilot Gig.
Next venue is the Sailing Club and Sea School. Members will offer coffee, a tour of the clubs’ facilities and viewings of sailing videos. The rowing team competing in the 2011 Atlantic Challenge race will talk about their preparations and boats.
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 3 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 4 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 5 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 6 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
From 1pm the treasure hunt moves along Marine Parade towards Lyme Regis Museum. En-route, Lyme’s artists - and a very special ichthyosaur - will welcome visitors outside the beach huts.
More New Year’s cheer will be available at the museum, open free of charge, and prizes presented to successful treasure-hunters.
For more information about Maritime Lyme and the year’s events visit the website www.maritimelyme.co.uk