Memorial tree planted for cancer victim Ralph
Poignant ceremony at Honiton’s Millennium Green.
THE life and work of a former Honiton man was commemorated during a poignant tree planing ceremony in the town last week.
Friends and family of the late Ralph Hibbert gathered at the Millennium Green on Thursday to witness a rowan tree being planted in his memory by mayor Councillor Peter Fleming.
The beauty spot was a special place for Mr Hibbert. He served on the green’s board of trustees and enjoyed many happy hours there.
Mr Hibbert, who ran a guest house in Kings Road with his wife, Ann, was also a tireless volunteer for Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce and Industry and a prominent member of Honiton and District Lions Club.
You may also want to watch:
He died last year after losing a fight against cancer.
Among those to attend the tree planting ceremony was his widow, their elder son, Karl, and his daughter, Beth, 16. Mr Hibbert’s younger son, Jamie, was ill and unable to travel to Honiton from his home in Cornwall.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Property of the Week: Windmill Cottage, Honiton
- 3 Hippos and Tigers progress before derby night
- 4 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 5 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 6 Mum and daughter to have their hair chopped for charity
- 7 Beer Albion edge Colyton in local showdown
- 8 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 9 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 10 Wildwood Escot ready for a frighteningly good October half term
Richard Howe, chairman of the green’s trustees, Brian Richards, president of the Lions Club, and Colin Wright, chairman of the chamber of commerce, witnessed the planting.
Afterwards, Mrs Hibbert said: “It was very touching - just lovely.
“The Millennium Green was special to Ralph; he just loved it there.”
She said berries produced by the tree would be enjoyed by birds, something else that would have given her late husband much pleasure.