Michael’s bid to inspire others
Honiton man’s autobiography to go on sale in the US.
When deciding to pen his life story more than 20 years ago, Michael Chering could never have imagined it would end up in print - let alone reach readers in the US.
Mr Chering, of Juniper Close, in Honiton, still has to pinch himself to make sure he’s not dreaming after his autobiography, The Words of My Mouth, was published.
The 73-year-old, who was born with a severe double hare-lip and cleft palate, hopes his book will be an inspiration to others.
“When I told my story to people they always said ‘why don’t you write about it’. I didn’t know quite where it would take me.
“I wanted to help people understand that whatever problems you have or difficulties you face in life, whether physical, mental or spiritual, there is a way to overcome it,” says Michael.
In his book, Michael recounts his early life, growing up, the challenges he faced during his days at school and in later life when he ventured into the world of work.
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 River Cottage Kitchen now open again at out-of-town HQ
- 3 Pub of the year Axminster Inn crowned
- 4 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
- 5 Honiton author release new sci-fi drama book
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Date reportedly set for Tiverton and Honiton by-election
- 8 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 9 Talaton gardens re-opens for the summer
- 10 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
During his life, he has undergone numerous operations to correct the defect and did not learn to speak until he was 18.
The Words of My Mouth, published by Bright Pen, has taken Michael more than 25 years to perfect and has been a long and emotional process for the former electricity board worker.
“It was very emotional, bringing back memories I would rather forget, but I’m glad I’ve done it,” he admits.
“I can’t believe my book has been published. I could never have imagined it would have got to this stage.”
The book is going to be sold by retailers in the United States, Australia and New Zealand and is available to buy online and from UK retailers as well as libraries.
Michael has put down his pen for the time being, but hopes his book will help others with problems they may be experiencing in their own lives.