Michael’s bid to inspire others
Honiton man’s autobiography to go on sale in the US.
When deciding to pen his life story more than 20 years ago, Michael Chering could never have imagined it would end up in print - let alone reach readers in the US.
Mr Chering, of Juniper Close, in Honiton, still has to pinch himself to make sure he’s not dreaming after his autobiography, The Words of My Mouth, was published.
The 73-year-old, who was born with a severe double hare-lip and cleft palate, hopes his book will be an inspiration to others.
“When I told my story to people they always said ‘why don’t you write about it’. I didn’t know quite where it would take me.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted to help people understand that whatever problems you have or difficulties you face in life, whether physical, mental or spiritual, there is a way to overcome it,” says Michael.
In his book, Michael recounts his early life, growing up, the challenges he faced during his days at school and in later life when he ventured into the world of work.
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 3 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 4 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 5 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
During his life, he has undergone numerous operations to correct the defect and did not learn to speak until he was 18.
The Words of My Mouth, published by Bright Pen, has taken Michael more than 25 years to perfect and has been a long and emotional process for the former electricity board worker.
“It was very emotional, bringing back memories I would rather forget, but I’m glad I’ve done it,” he admits.
“I can’t believe my book has been published. I could never have imagined it would have got to this stage.”
The book is going to be sold by retailers in the United States, Australia and New Zealand and is available to buy online and from UK retailers as well as libraries.
Michael has put down his pen for the time being, but hopes his book will help others with problems they may be experiencing in their own lives.