More volunteers needed for riding group
The East Devon Riding for the Disabled Association’s Blue Jack the cob is raring to go but more volunteers are needed to lend a hand.
Blue Jack is raring to go but the East Devon Group of the Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA) is appealing for more volunteers to lend a hand.
The five-year-old cob was gifted to the association by a generous good samaritan.
A spokesman for the East Devon RDA said: “Blue Jack has completed his training and the group now needs more volunteer helpers to increase the riding opportunities it can offer to disabled children and adults in East Devon.
“Riding is widely recognised as an excellent form of therapy, strengthening the spine and legs and developing good overall muscle tone as a rider who apparently has little movement control will instinctively brace into an upright position on mounting a horse.
“The emphasis on riding for the disabled is therapy, fun and achievement.”
The East Devon group hold twice weekly riding sessions at Hitts Barton Equestrian Centre, near Whimple.
- 1 Full steam ahead for Honiton Hill Rally on bank holiday weekend
- 2 A-Level results 2022: Honiton students achieve 'amazing' higher average point score
- 3 Passenger banned from sitting next to girls on the bus
- 4 New artist drawing his way around Seaton
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Kings School pride in ‘resilient’ pupils collecting A-Level results
- 7 Organisers aren't 'sheepish' about this upcoming Axe Valley event
- 8 Tourist blamed satnav for sending him wrong way up A303 dual carriageway
- 9 Exeter College achieve 'amazing results' as students discover their higher education grades
- 10 Nine-year-old launches fundraising appeal to spruce up RD&E's kids ward
Sessions take place between 2pm and 3.30pm on Thursday and Friday during term time.
Volunteers are needed to help welcome riders and their parents or carers, side walking with the riders as well as leading horses and ponies.
Full training will be given to volunteers.
The East Devon group has no connection with the Donkey Sanctuary or the Elisabeth Svendsen Trust and relies on fund-raising activities by volunteers.
Anyone interested in volunteering can call the East Devon RDA on 0845 241437 for more information.