Mum’s plea for more blood donors
Upottery woman appeals for more people to register as blood donors.
A mum-of-four from Upottery is urging as many people as possible to register as blood donors and help save a life.
Melanie Smart, received a life-saving blood transfusion following complications during the birth of her daughter Madeleine, who is now five.
Now, the 45-year-old is hoping to encourage as many people to possible to register as a blood donor at a registration morning on Saturday, August 25.
Mrs Smart who had a transfusion of 28 pints of blood says she is grateful everyday to the strangers that helped to save her life by donating blood.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It was one of those things I was always going to do. I had always seen the signs and said I’ll do it next time.
“If it was not for the 28 blood donors giving time out of their lives I wouldn’t be here.
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 3 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 4 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 5 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
“Everyday I am grateful for the strangers who saved my life.”
Melanie’s experience has also encouraged the rest of her family to become blood donors including her husband James and their older children Camilla, Emily and Jamie.
The Team Give Blood registration event takes place at the Sidmouth Arms, Upottery, from 10am to 12pm.