My Honiton - friendly faces
- Credit: Archant
Frances Lemmer works at Honiton Library. Here, she highlights some of her favourites things about the town.
What is your favourite building in Honiton?
My favourite building is Roderick Butler Antiques in Monkton Road, near the mini roundabout which leads towards Axminster. It’s a beautiful double-fronted building, which I think is Georgian, although I’m not sure. I can just imagine reading my book in the garden on a summer’s day with a pina colada. I love old buildings – and luckily Honiton has quite a few.
What’s your favourite area in Honiton.
My favourite area is a part of The Glen, which is where I spend most of my lunchtimes. It gives me a bit of a walk and I can meander through the countryside before sitting on a bench at this particular spot and enjoy the spectacular views. It gets me out of the building and offers me lots of calm. I call it ‘my bench’ because there is never anyone sitting on it – not yet anyway! It’s a bit of a hike to get there but it’s worth it for the peace and the views.
You may also want to watch:
What do you think Honiton’s biggest asset is?
It’s friendly population. I genuinely believe that the people of Honiton are the most welcoming and friendly people around. From personal experience of walking around and going into different shops, people generally seem happy to live here. I think you notice it more when you go to other places and see how unfriendly they are and then you come back to Honiton and notice how lovely it is.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 5 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 8 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
How do you think Honiton Library compares with other libraries in East Devon?
We are good-sized purpose-built town library offering welcoming and friendly space for all members of the community. We have been told we are much more welcoming and approachable than some other places – and I like to think that is reflected in the service we offer. We love to help as much as we can.
Where in Honiton have you had your best-ever meal?
It may not be in Honiton, but I know it’s close. It has to be the roast dinner at the Hare and Hounds, on Sidmouth Road. We are a vegetarian family and they do the best vegetables and range of veg and stuffing balls from miles around. They do a really nice nut roast too – we quite often go there for a family occasion, whether it’s a birthday or we’re just tired of cooking!