Napoli beaching inspires children's story
THE drama of the stricken MSC Napoli and an East Devon Valley are the basis for two fictional tales in a new children s book, written by the former head of languages at Honiton Community College.
THE drama of the stricken MSC Napoli and an East Devon Valley are the basis for two fictional tales in a new children's book, written by the former head of languages at Honiton Community College.
Tony Lambert, 64, of Branscombe, penned Four to Teen, a collection of five stories for young readers, over a number of years.
The book was published last week, with the support of UK Unpublished.
"I first started writing these stories when my children were growing up," Mr Lambert told the Herald. "Little events that happened would plant a seed in my mind that would, subsequently, turn into a story.
"Quite often, I would wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and develop it - sometimes even writing little notes. I'd take it on from there, if I thought it was interesting enough."
Boxes of Temptation was inspired by the beaching of the Napoli off Branscombe and Striker the Buzzard is all about the valley Branscombe nestles in.
- 1 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 2 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 3 Designated drivers offered free drinks this Christmas
- 4 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 5 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 6 Seaton's 'Hub Elves' replace loneliness with Christmas cheer
- 7 There are troubling consequences for all of us in this real life satire
- 8 7 cosiest pubs in East Devon
- 9 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 10 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
"The others just came to me - often at 3am!" said Mr Lambert. "There's a little spark somewhere and, once it is ignited, you start thinking about it."
Many of the stories were filed away and forgotten about, but Mr Lambert was badgered to do something with them by his typist, Gloria Tanner, of Sidmouth.
Four to Teen is available, priced �8.49, from The Shanty, in Branscombe, The Fountain Head, Branscombe Post Office and Paragon Books, in Sidmouth.