Napoli beaching inspires children's story
THE drama of the stricken MSC Napoli and an East Devon Valley are the basis for two fictional tales in a new children s book, written by the former head of languages at Honiton Community College.
THE drama of the stricken MSC Napoli and an East Devon Valley are the basis for two fictional tales in a new children's book, written by the former head of languages at Honiton Community College.
Tony Lambert, 64, of Branscombe, penned Four to Teen, a collection of five stories for young readers, over a number of years.
The book was published last week, with the support of UK Unpublished.
"I first started writing these stories when my children were growing up," Mr Lambert told the Herald. "Little events that happened would plant a seed in my mind that would, subsequently, turn into a story.
You may also want to watch:
"Quite often, I would wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and develop it - sometimes even writing little notes. I'd take it on from there, if I thought it was interesting enough."
Boxes of Temptation was inspired by the beaching of the Napoli off Branscombe and Striker the Buzzard is all about the valley Branscombe nestles in.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 3 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 6 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 7 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 8 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 9 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 10 Anniversary milestone for the railway station that beat Beeching
"The others just came to me - often at 3am!" said Mr Lambert. "There's a little spark somewhere and, once it is ignited, you start thinking about it."
Many of the stories were filed away and forgotten about, but Mr Lambert was badgered to do something with them by his typist, Gloria Tanner, of Sidmouth.
Four to Teen is available, priced �8.49, from The Shanty, in Branscombe, The Fountain Head, Branscombe Post Office and Paragon Books, in Sidmouth.