Napoli beaching inspires children's story
THE drama of the stricken MSC Napoli and an East Devon Valley are the basis for two fictional tales in a new children s book, written by the former head of languages at Honiton Community College.
THE drama of the stricken MSC Napoli and an East Devon Valley are the basis for two fictional tales in a new children's book, written by the former head of languages at Honiton Community College.
Tony Lambert, 64, of Branscombe, penned Four to Teen, a collection of five stories for young readers, over a number of years.
The book was published last week, with the support of UK Unpublished.
"I first started writing these stories when my children were growing up," Mr Lambert told the Herald. "Little events that happened would plant a seed in my mind that would, subsequently, turn into a story.
You may also want to watch:
"Quite often, I would wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and develop it - sometimes even writing little notes. I'd take it on from there, if I thought it was interesting enough."
Boxes of Temptation was inspired by the beaching of the Napoli off Branscombe and Striker the Buzzard is all about the valley Branscombe nestles in.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 9 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
"The others just came to me - often at 3am!" said Mr Lambert. "There's a little spark somewhere and, once it is ignited, you start thinking about it."
Many of the stories were filed away and forgotten about, but Mr Lambert was badgered to do something with them by his typist, Gloria Tanner, of Sidmouth.
Four to Teen is available, priced �8.49, from The Shanty, in Branscombe, The Fountain Head, Branscombe Post Office and Paragon Books, in Sidmouth.