New business heads to Seaton
Long-established business hopes to give Seaton a boost.
Seaton is preparing to welcome a new face to the resort as a long-established business comes to town.
Osborne’s Big & Tall Menswear is relocating from its long-term home in Beer and will be opening a new store in Seaton next month.
Owners David and Sharon Bruce hope the move will benefit the town.
They said: “We previously had a warehouse in Seaton and so are looking forward to returning to our home town of Seaton. We feel Seaton is going through a time of positive change and would like to help the town grow and flourish.”
You may also want to watch:
Osborne’s was established by Tony Osborne and his wife Alma in 1968, when they took over a gents and ladies outfitters in Beer that had previously been owned by a Mr Woodgate.
During that time Mr Osborne and his wife boosted their sales figures and began specialising in more XL items to satisfy a growing demand for larger sizes, as well as establishing a mail order catalogue.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
The store also attracted celebrity clients including cricketer Bob Willis, astronomer Patrick Moore and MPs from the House of Commons.
Mr Osborne retired on the advice of medical professionals in 1989 in order to have a multiple heart bypass operation.
The business was taken over by David and Sharon Bruce in 2001, who were joined by two of the shop’s long-standing employees, Andrew Smith and Michael Hartnell.
The couple added: “We are thankful for the support and wonderful community spirit of Beer.”
The store currently specialises in larger sizes up to 8XL and is looking to extend all of its size ranges.
David and Sharon will be joined by Mr Osborne, who will be officially opening the new store in Fore Street on Monday, October 1.