New chairman of Honiton Hospital League of Friends
Vic Bowsher stands down after 18 years in the role, but will remain on the committee. Heather Penwarden takes the helm.
Heather Penwarden, who has been instrumental in the success of Honiton Memory Cafe, has been elected chairman of Honiton Hospital League of Friends.
She takes over from Vic Bowsher, who held the position for 18 years.
“Vic has done a sterling job over the years, dedicating much time and effort into the charitable works at the hospital,” said Mrs Penwarden. “He will be staying on the committee to support me in my new role.
“I am very pleased to be working with the league of friends who, between them, volunteer many hours a week providing added comforts for patients and visitors by running the shop, serving hot drinks on the ward, morning and afternoons, looking after the flower beds and, of course, organising fund-raising events for occasional items of equipment.”
Mrs Penwarden added: “We have a community hospital to be proud of in Honiton and I hope my experience of working with volunteers and charitable organisations will complement the first rate care and treatment provided by all the staff.”
The league’s next fund-raiser is a quiz, to be held at Honiton Conservative Club on Saturday, June 23. The event will start at 8pm and teams of four or more are invited to take part. The entry fee is �10 for a team of four, with �1 each for extra team members.
- 1 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 'Fantastic' news on Honiton loos: King Street toilets to stay open
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Charity golf circus on the Honiton greens
- 6 Colyton decides on new neighbourhood development plan
- 7 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 8 UPDATE: Missing woman found after police appeal
- 9 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 10 Where to see Santa in the Seaton area this Christmas
To register a team, call 01404 43219.
Anyone interested in joining the league as a volunteer is urged to call 01404 45360.