New church team appointed
- Credit: Archant
Uplyme and Axmouth congregations welcome lay readers
A new team has been put in place to minister at Uplyme and Axmouth parish churches.
When the vicar Rev Gavin Tyte left the two parishes at the beginning of September, the curate, Rev Shuna George, took on the responsibilities until a new appointment is made.
Shuna was recently ordained a priest in All Saints Church, Sidmouth, and she will now be supported by two newly licensed lay readers - Hilary Harron and Roger Grose. Both were licensed by the Bishop of Crediton in Exeter Cathedral on Sunday (October 5).
Hilary has been the parish assistant at Axmouth church, responsible for its day to day running. Roger, who lives in Seaton, is based at Uplyme church and preaches monthly at Axmouth.
You may also want to watch:
Both congregations officially welcomed the three into their new roles on Sunday.
Axmouth church was also celebrating harvest at a well-attended service, which was followed by a lunch in the village hall. Supporting Hilary and Roger at the service were Ernie Fox and John Morrish, who have been readers for many years and coincidentally are like Roger, both retired headteachers.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Children’s hospice South West celebrates 30 years
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Government scraps house building quota in East Devon
Preparations for the appointment of a new vicar are well under way and it is hoped that the post will be filled within a few weeks. In the meantime, Shuna, Hilary and Roger will be working closely with the leadership teams of the two parishes to continue the development of both churches