New lease of life for Honiton Senior Citizens' Centre
With a fresh new look, courtesy of Honiton Town Council, the Senior Citizens Centre is a hive of activity.
With a fresh new look, courtesy of Honiton Town Council, the Senior Citizens' Centre is a hive of activity.
After attracting younger committee members earlier this year, the drop-in meeting place is buzzing with people to see and things to do.
Pam Lane, who at 66 is a real youngster, is chairman of the centre's committee.
She is joined by former mayoress Jean Tratt, who is vice chairman and social secretary, Margaret Scott, assistant social secretary, Di Hawkins, secretary, and Arthur Webster and Vic Thomas are joint treasurers.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to promote the centre," said Mrs Hawkins.
"We've already gone on one trip and are looking forward to a mystery trip on September 23.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Your chance to be crowned top artist
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 9 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
- 10 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
"The centre is reinstating its Christmas party. It will be held on December 17 at the Royal British Legion.
"We are also hoping to start some bingo sessions at the senior citizens' centre."
Whist drives, held on Wednesdays, are set to continue.
The centre's popular draws, held three times a year, will also carry on.
Committee members hope to run a number of cake stalls for centre users.
The centre is open Monday to Saturday from 10am to noon.
Coffee and biscuits are available for 70p and tea and biscuits for 60p.
Any pensioner can use the centre. There is no subscription to pay.
Recently, the centre attracted visitors from Chard.