New lease of life for Honiton Senior Citizens' Centre
With a fresh new look, courtesy of Honiton Town Council, the Senior Citizens Centre is a hive of activity.
With a fresh new look, courtesy of Honiton Town Council, the Senior Citizens' Centre is a hive of activity.
After attracting younger committee members earlier this year, the drop-in meeting place is buzzing with people to see and things to do.
Pam Lane, who at 66 is a real youngster, is chairman of the centre's committee.
She is joined by former mayoress Jean Tratt, who is vice chairman and social secretary, Margaret Scott, assistant social secretary, Di Hawkins, secretary, and Arthur Webster and Vic Thomas are joint treasurers.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to promote the centre," said Mrs Hawkins.
"We've already gone on one trip and are looking forward to a mystery trip on September 23.
- 1 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 2 Increase in hate crime across Devon and Cornwall
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 5 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 6 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens
- 7 Honiton runners in the Studland Stampede
- 8 Jo’s family go the distance to support cancer charity
- 9 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 10 School embraces reading challenge
"The centre is reinstating its Christmas party. It will be held on December 17 at the Royal British Legion.
"We are also hoping to start some bingo sessions at the senior citizens' centre."
Whist drives, held on Wednesdays, are set to continue.
The centre's popular draws, held three times a year, will also carry on.
Committee members hope to run a number of cake stalls for centre users.
The centre is open Monday to Saturday from 10am to noon.
Coffee and biscuits are available for 70p and tea and biscuits for 60p.
Any pensioner can use the centre. There is no subscription to pay.
Recently, the centre attracted visitors from Chard.