New lease of life for Honiton Senior Citizens' Centre
With a fresh new look, courtesy of Honiton Town Council, the Senior Citizens Centre is a hive of activity.
With a fresh new look, courtesy of Honiton Town Council, the Senior Citizens' Centre is a hive of activity.
After attracting younger committee members earlier this year, the drop-in meeting place is buzzing with people to see and things to do.
Pam Lane, who at 66 is a real youngster, is chairman of the centre's committee.
She is joined by former mayoress Jean Tratt, who is vice chairman and social secretary, Margaret Scott, assistant social secretary, Di Hawkins, secretary, and Arthur Webster and Vic Thomas are joint treasurers.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to promote the centre," said Mrs Hawkins.
"We've already gone on one trip and are looking forward to a mystery trip on September 23.
- 1 Sisters urge supporters to keep giving as mum battles to beat cancer
- 2 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 3 School recognised for appliance of science
- 4 Customers reminded to look out for tax credit renewal packs
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 Honiton Stingrays looking for new swimmers
- 7 Anniversary milestone for the railway station that beat Beeching
- 8 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 9 Mum and daughters take some big steps to help beat cancer
- 10 Green blueprint for new valley park is agreed
"The centre is reinstating its Christmas party. It will be held on December 17 at the Royal British Legion.
"We are also hoping to start some bingo sessions at the senior citizens' centre."
Whist drives, held on Wednesdays, are set to continue.
The centre's popular draws, held three times a year, will also carry on.
Committee members hope to run a number of cake stalls for centre users.
The centre is open Monday to Saturday from 10am to noon.
Coffee and biscuits are available for 70p and tea and biscuits for 60p.
Any pensioner can use the centre. There is no subscription to pay.
Recently, the centre attracted visitors from Chard.