New look Honiton Railway Station
Completion of �1.4m improvement scheme marked by unveiling of brass plaque.
Honiton Railway Station was officially re-opened today (Thursday) following the completion of a �1.4m improvement scheme.
Boasting a larger booking hall, with new facilities, and ramp access to both platforms, the improvements were marked by the unveiling of a brass plaque.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council’s cabinet member for Transportation, pulled the cord, watched by Andy Pitt, managing director of South West Trains, and Councillor Vernon Whitlock, the Mayor of Honiton.
Mr Pitt said: “We are pleased to have delivered this significant project with our partners to provide a much improved station for Honiton’s passengers.
You may also want to watch:
“It is great to see these new facilities. Passengers in Honiton rely on rail for over 328 thousand journeys every year, reflecting its importance to the community and local economy.
“I am sure local residents will take pride in the new look of their train station for years to come.”
- 1 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 2 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 3 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 4 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 5 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 8 Local Football Results
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
Councillor Hughes said: “This is a major investment in the station at Honiton and I’m sure it will be much appreciated by all passengers travelling to and from the town.
“The improved accessibility will make it much easier for families with young children and disabled passengers to use this line, which not only serves local communities but is also an important link to London.
“The hourly service has seen visitor numbers increase and the new facilities will hopefully encourage more people to travel by train.”
What next for Honiton Railway Station? Find out in next week’s Midweek Herald - special report.