No DCC traffic study
PUBLISHED: 14:30 06 February 2008 | UPDATED: 14:44 20 April 2010
CONSULTANTS acting for Tesco have been told to reconsider their traffic impact study for Ottery Moor Lane. Devon County Council told the Herald in a statement on Monday: The site will have an impact on the trunk road network, so the Highways Agency has a
CONSULTANTS acting for Tesco have been told to reconsider their traffic impact study for Ottery Moor Lane. Devon County Council told the Herald in a statement on Monday: "The site will have an impact on the trunk road network, so the Highways Agency has an interest. "The application will, therefore, be scrutinised by two highways authorities. We are holding talks with the Highways Agency. "The Tesco consultants have been asked to reconsider their assessment, in part because it does not accord with the new national guidance." County Hall, however, has ruled out calls to carry out its own traffic impact assessment. It says developers must submit their own assessments using guidance published by the Department of Tansport, which was revised last year. Assessments must use the Trip Rate Information Computer System, a database of various traffic counts carried out nationally for various planning class uses. "TAKE it personally!" That's the message Honiton and District Chamber of Commerce and Industry, along with a protest group, is sending residents as part of its 'Say No to Tesco' campaign. Posters and leaflets, urging residents to object to Tesco's relocation bid, are being distributed ahead of Honiton Town Council's debate on the issue on February 19. The leaflets ask: "How do you want to see Honiton in five years' time? Thriving, with friendly shops and businesses, offering choice and service at the right price - or desolate, with boarded-up, empty shops and graffiti-daubed, neglected buildings?" n "WE have won the battle, but not the war." That's how the co-chairman of a residents' protest group has described efforts, so far, to inform the public about its opposition to Tesco's relocation plan in Honiton. Mike Bonetta, of Ottery Moor Lane, told the Herald: "What we have achieved has been very good. "We have won the battle, but not the war. We must continue to win through and keep the town we want." Protesters have circulated leaflets, outlining their reasons for opposing Tesco's proposed move from Battishorne Way to Ottery Moor Lane, to around 85 per cent of addresses in Honiton. Volunteers say they will be concentrating on the other 15 per cent of the town this week.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.